Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Two weeks in a small town is enough

So I have found a city near my homestay village. As it turns out it is the 4th biggest city in Senegal! Since I have internet cababilities I have decided to up date you all as to how things are going. For those of you who have talked to me you all mentioned that I sounded very up beat, well I think the newest has worn off and some things are starting to get to me, such putting up with 95-100 degree heat and having no where to go to escape it!!! I do not really enjoy squating to go to the bathroom over a hole nor making friends with the resident cockroach or spider in the bathroom. I am also tired of taking bucket showers with rain water!!! It is also tiring to be treated like a five year old!!!
So sorry for the rant about how things kind of suck but I had to. Other than that things are going ok, I miss some things from the States such as clothes that do not smell, or certain fast food places. For example I learned how to say next to in Pulaar, the language I am attempting to learn, is Taco and now all I can think about is Taco Bell!!!
Next week we get to find out where our permanent sites are so I am very excited to see where I will spend the next 2 years of my life!!!
OK so I think I have given a quick update. I apologize for any spelling or grammatical (Mom I do not zant an email correcting me) I am using a keyboard where the keys do not match up with what appears on the screen.
Miss you all and hope to hear from you soon!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep your chin up. Maybe things will get better once you get to your permanent host family. Can't wait to see you.
B.

Anonymous said...

How many of you in the PC are in this town? It definitely looks like it takes a lot of getting used to, but you're a tough kid, Alex. I can't wait to see where you're going to be staying for the duration. We're always glad to see your new posts, even if they're rants!
You're always in our thoughts...Mary Lynn & Dave Shaw

Icepick said...

Hang in there Alex! Keep the rants and posts coming. Have you named the cockroach and spider? Looking forward to hearing about the permanent site...Captain Ron

Amberlou said...

I think it's great that you're there... enduring and pushing through to live your dream. You will get acclimated in a bit better soon hopefully.

Unknown said...

KOCHANE OLCISKO! Nie daj sie zwariowac...You're better than that sista! Czasami (at one time or another) wszyscy musimy kucac jak sramy! :D

If you haven't already done so, I propose naming the spider "King Julian" (Cause he's the funniest animated character ever) and the cockroach "Carlos"...that way you can amuse yourself mid-squat by saying (aloud) "Not at the table Carlos"... :D

Let me know when you'll have "skyping" capabilities and you can bitch to me electronic-face-to-electronic-face all you'd like ;')

Kocham cie mloda!

-Sewer