Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My new home

Hello all,
I know you have been waiting for an update from me. Well after my volunteer visit (to see where I'll be living for 2 years) I had some work to do and then I went to stay with my host family where I had no internet access. I am staying in the city of Kedougou, which has a bussiling population of 20,000 people. However, it is the regional capital and it is the central place for over 120,000 people in the region. It is a rural town without running water (I'm not too happy about that!!) However, I will have my own room and bathroom so that will make things some what better. Plus I'm about a 1 min bike ride from our regional house that has running water and a very nice outdoor shower, so I will be using that quite often. As for the city itself, it's not too big, but I can get some basic goods, such as canned ravioli!! Also, I am going to buy myself a little fridge so that I can have a cold beer when our temps reach 120 degrees!! I'm in the second hottest region in Senegal. Also, once I get settled I'll have more contact with the outside world because I am going to get the internet in my room!
I breifly met my host family, they have never had a volunteer before and seem quite happy to be hosting me. I found out that my host father is an english teacher so that will help me in learning Pulaar. Also, they have satellite TV which confuses me. They have splurged for satellite TV, but not running water??!!?? I guess I know where their priorities lie.
I will post more pictures of my place once I set-up my room and such, but below are some that I my friend took of the surrounding scenery in Kedougou. Even though I'm in one of the hottest regions I am also in one of the greenest, so for the next two years I get to wake up to rolling green hills and visit our local waterfalls. So it might not be too bad!






4 comments:

Brandyn said...

well,i am glad to hear that you think you may be able to survive. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Alex, we're SO happy to hear from you again! We were missing you! The scenery is lovely - can't wait to see more! And we're happy to hear that you'll have some creature comforts (shower, internet, BEER ?! - REALLY??). Keep the updates coming 'cause we check every day...love...Mary Lynn Shaw

Swade said...

Hey gal! The scenery is just beautiful! I think I could deal with the hot weather as long as I had scenery to look at where I was living and animals. I hear ya about having a beer fridge... Although it saddens me that your host family chose TV over running water. Damn globalization...

So I paid $370 today for Hep B, typhoid, yellow fever and polio vaccinations-ack! 2 shots in each arm-fun stuff. I'm currently waiting on my work visa to be approved, so I'm not sure the exact date I'll be arriving in Cameroon. Will let you know when I find out! Take care!

Nicole said...

Yeah! She's back!! Glad to be getting updates again. Your loyal fan base has been wondering where you were.