Saturday, September 11, 2010

Korite --- Party time!!

So Korite is the celebration of the end of Ramadan (a month where everyone fasts during the day). This has been the worst month for us Americans because since no one was eating they weren't too inclined to give us food. Also, since they mostly slept during the day, hey what else are you going to do if you're not eating, don't have a job, and it's 100 degrees outside?) they felt that night was a great time to listen to music or TV full blast.
After such a rough month I thought they would be ready to celebrate but besides a wonderful dinner of chicken, potatoes, beef, and onions, and getting dressed up in their nice clothes not much happened. it was actually quieter that night than it has been all the other nights.

The women all the way to the right (my left) of the picture is my aunt along with her two daughters. the woman next to me is also another aunt who is ready to give birth at any minute. I was told that since I had never seen a live birth before I could watch hers, but I think they were only joking. Either way I declined the offer.


Here are all of us from Sangalkam dressed up in our Korite outfits.



After morning prayer most of the men came to my compound to eat breakfast.




Here is the site that we beheld as we pulled into Sangalkam. YUM!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Alex!
I've got to tell you, all my family in Syracuse and we are SO enjoying your adventure - I'm always so excited when you add another chapter! You all look so happy and YOU still have that wonderful, electric smile of yours, even when the weather's HOT and you're washing your underwear in a bucket!!
Did you make your Korite outfit? I like it. The kids are beautiful and so are the women! And, speaking of kids, what did you name the other baby goat? Is that goat that's been butchered in the picture? Pink Lake, unfortunately, doesn't look pink. How often are you getting rain?
Keep the updates coming - it brightens up these dreary days in EA (and Syracuse, too!). It's great to see you in some of these pictures!
Love...Mary Lynn Shaw

michael said...

Ola!

Read some of your posts and i love them thanks for all the updates.

Stay safe and good luck.

PS: you should come back to the states wearing your Korite outfit! that would be cool!

Icepick said...

Hey Ola!

Looks like a much better time than watching the Bills lose to the Dolphins 15-10. Great outfit!

Captain Ron

Unknown said...

Hey kid! If you could do us, errr, me a big favor and spell out the "new" words phonetically in parenthesis that would be super! :D I see your big smile in all the picks which is muy bien, but contradicting rhetoric in your text...hmmmmmm, something's off here ;) Yeah, on that continent they kinda eat to survive...we on this side of the pond know absolutely NOTHING about that! Keep taking good care of yourself and stay cool (literally and like Fonzie). Love you!

Nicole said...

Hi munchkin
Like the new outfit. Seems to go well with your crocs. I sent you a long email and some photos from our trip to the NL - enjoy. Let me know if you get internet in your house and what times are best to reach you at!
Missing you and wishing you the best.
XOXO

Unknown said...

i like the outfit. very nice :)

Nicole said...

Hello!!! I keep checking back. 10 days without an update is too much fyi. Your readership deserves better :-)