Monday, August 23, 2010

My first week at my host family

Ok, so I just got done with my first week in my host family. There are about 30 people who live on my compound and I can't figure out who is related to whom. Please I think I live in the social hotspot so we have people who come in and out all day/night long and don't really know who is who.


I live in a town called Sangalkam and it's a pretty small town. I did find an internet cafe though, which is great on those days that we do have electricity. They usually turn off the power for the day and then we hopefully get it back on at night. I have my own room which is nice except for the fact that I can NOT get a cross breeze to cool it off!!! So I usually go to sleep in a room that's about 85 degrees. I am starting to get used to just sweating all the time!!


As for my family they are all right. The woman who they said is my Mom is younger than me and she walks around the compund like she owns it. She doesn't leave her room much and doesn't really do any chores with the other women. As far as my Dad he will sit down with me at night and work on my vocabulary in Pulaar (the language I am learning). When I got there they gave me a Senegalese name, Mame Coumba, and I am named after my 6 year old sister. She's great because she just hangs around me all the time so that means I have someone at all times who can walk me around town. The only bad thing is she doesn't really speak Pulaar, she speak Wolof, that's the national language, as well as most people do amongst each other. So with everyone speaking Wolof around you it's very difficult to learn Pulaar.


I think my family thinks that I am very weird because I use toilet paper, toothpaste, and go around naming the cats and our baby goat!! However, they have now learned that the goat's name is Billy and when my Dad gets home he will ask me where Billy is!!! As for what he does all day, I'm not too sure. I asked him if he works and he said no but he leaves the compound until dinner time. I think he just hangs out right outside the compound and chills under the tree there.

OK, long enough entry for now. Pictures and more details to follow!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mame Coumba, it's GREAT to hear from you again!! We can't wait to see some pics of you and your new abode. When does the weather cool off?
This is the start of Dave's 3rd week at Moog. He got to go to a couple of company picnics so, so far, he thinks it's great! It's good to have him out of the house again, too, if you know what I mean!
Keep the news coming - I check every day! Love...Mary Lynn (Mrs. Shaw)

Swade said...

Whas'up, MC? So how many cats are there and what'd ya name them all? lol

So I'm still waiting on HR to handle the situation with my manager, which means I'm having to hold off on making a decision about the job situation/internship. Sucks! After talking with HR last week, I hope it will be addressed this week. If I don't get into IDG soon, I'll quit and live off my retirement for a while. Life's too short to work a crappy job for an @$$hole boss! I'm leaning more toward Madagascar now than any place else in Africa. Will let you know what happens, stay tuned....

Throwing some cool breezes your way!

Nicole said...

Hi munchkin
Got your request and will see what I can do about sending the package before we leave for the NL. I'm thinking it's doable :-) Thanks for the pictures - definitely different from Antigua from what I can tell.